Blended Burger with Grilled Watermelon
For this recipe, the watermelon acts like a slice of tomato. To use it as a burger topper, be sure to cut your watermelon slices to the desired size of your burger.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (any variety works- a mix creates an especially nice flavor!)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 slices Havarti cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- fresh basil leaves
- baby arugula
- 1 watermelon seedless, sliced 1/2 inch thick, rind removed and grilled (optional)
- hamburger or slider buns
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by placing the mushrooms in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, transfer to a medium bowl, and add the ground beef, balsamic, garlic salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Mix well using your hands. Divide the mixture into about 6 regular sized patties or 8 slider sized patties.
2. Brush the watermelon slices on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Grill the burgers over medium-high heat until desired doneness. Grill your burger buns for a moment or two, if desired. Last, grill the watermelon slices for 2 minutes per side, watching closely so they don’t burn.
4. Mix together the mayonnaise, balsamic, dijon, salt and pepper until smooth.
5. Assemble the burgers, topping with the patties with the watermelon first, followed by fresh basil and arugula, then topping with a mayo slathered bun.
4-6 burgers or 8 sliders