This dish is a wonderful union of sweet and savory.
- 2 cups soy crumble
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- dash soy sauce
- 4 two by four by one inch thick rectangles of seedless watermelon
- 4 scallion flowers
Heat the soy crumble with the barbecue sauce in a saucepan over medium low heat and keep warm.
Heat the oil in a heavy non-stick saucepan over high heat and when hot, quickly stir in the garlic and then stir in the spinach. Drizzle the soy sauce over the spinach, give a quick stir, and turn off heat.
Divide the spinach among 4 plates. Place a watermelon rectangle on top and divide the warm soy crumble over that. Garnish with a scallion flower and serve immediately.
* Make scallion flowers ahead and set aside. Cut 3-inch lengths from the white parts of scallions (Chop the remainder and use as a garnish, if desired). Make 3/4 inch scores down both ends of the scallion pieces with a very sharp paring knife. Place the scallions in ice water for 20 minutes and they should fan out on both ends into frilly flowers. Keep refrigerated in water until ready to use.
Makes 4 servings.