Smoked Mozzarella Pumps
You may add shaved smoked ham to these pumps for a heartier sandwich.
- 1 1/4 cup honey dijon mustard
- 8 small Hawaiian or soft pumpernickel rolls, split
- 8 slices 1/4 inch thick smoked mozzarella cheese*
- 8 slices seedless watermelon the same size as the cheese
- 1 cup fresh alfalfa sprouts
Spread the mustard on each of the cut sides of the rolls. Place a slice of cheese and watermelon on top of each roll bottom and divide the sprouts over the watermelon slices. Place the top of the roll over the sprouts.
* Smoked fresh mozzarella cheese can be found with specialty or gourmet cheeses at most supermarkets. It comes in ovals about 3 inches in diameter, which is the perfect size for this recipe. If the smoked mozzarella available in your market is larger, cut in half and use half-moon shapes. Plain fresh mozzarella can be substituted but the smoky flavor is terrific in the recipe. If you use plain fresh mozzarella cheese, add a drop or two of liquid smoke to the Honey Dijon.
Makes 8 servings.