Stacked Jicama Chicken Salad
Here’s everything you need for a meal in a jar. Great for lunches, snacks, and on-the-go home-style take out, this stacked salad is packed with protein, fiber, and water, the 3 ingredients that fill you up before filling you out, so you don’t overeat. You also get a hefty dose of antioxidants (thanks to the watermelon, jicama, and curry powder) that protect you from head to toe from inflammation and most age-related diseases, a third of your daily need for magnesium (a mineral that helps calm the stress response), and lots of potassium to keep your heart and blood pressure in tip top shape.
- 1 pound cooked, skinned and boned chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1/3 cup diced (or sliced) celery
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup raisins or craisins
- 2 2/3 cups thin strips of watermelon (no longer than 2 1 /2 inches)
- 1 cup thin strips of peeled jicama (no longer than 2 1 /2 inches, match-stick size)
- 4 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 1 handful shredded romaine
- 4 pint, wide-mouth mason jars
1. Cook rice according to directions on box. Refrigerate to cool.
2. In a medium bowl, blend mayonnaise, chutney, and curry until thoroughly blended. Add chicken, celery, onion, and raisins. Blend and refrigerate.
3. Divide rice and chicken mixture into 4 equal batches. Starting with the rice, layer approximately 1/4 cup of rice followed by 1/3 cup watermelon, 1/4 cup jicama, 1/3 cup of chicken. Repeat and top with 1 Tablespoon of chopped cashews and shredded romaine. Serve or screw a lid onto jar and refrigerate.
Makes 4 stacked salads.
Serving size: 1 stacked salad
Calories per serving: 391
Fat per serving: 7g
Saturated fat per serving: 1.5g
Cholesterol per serving: 65mg
Fiber per serving: 5.3g
Folate per serving: 38mcg
Vitamin C per serving: 22mg
Calcium per serving: 60mg
Magnesium per serving: 124mg Potassium per serving: 748mg
Sodium per serving: 185mg
*Nutrition based on boiled, boneless, skinless chicken breast