Watermelon Rind Slaw
While half of some fruits are tossed when you throw away the seeds or the peel, all of the watermelon can be used. Save your rinds and make this yummy slaw. Besides, the rind is packed with citrulline and arginine, two compounds that aid in healthy blood flow!
- 1/4 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- dash salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups grated watermelon rind with fruit and green peel removed
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
1. In a small bowl, blend dressing thoroughly Set aside.
2. Place watermelon rind on several layers of paper towels to soak up excess fluid.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, Place dressing, rind, carrot, and pineapple and toss to thoroughly coat. Serve.
Makes 4 one-cup servings.
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories per serving: 122
Fat per serving: 4g
Saturated Fat per serving: 1.5g
Fiber per serving: 3.3g