Watermelon Wedge Steakhouse Salad by Shauna Haveyc
This entry is part of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Recipe Contest Winners. Shauna Havey won the flesh category of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon recipe contest with her recipe for a Watermelon Wedge Steakhouse Salad. “Whenever I visit my favorite steakhouse for dinner, I always order a wedge salad for my first course...something about the cool crunch next to the rich dressing and toppings is so appealing. A sweet wedge of ripe watermelon makes a fantastic replacement for lettuce in this dish-so much so, you might never want to have it the old way again. The dressing makes good use of the flesh, rind, and juice of the melon too.”
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup finely diced watermelon
- 1/3 cup peeled and finely diced watermelon rind
- 1/4 cup watermelon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For the salad and toppings:
- 4 thick wedges of watermelon
- 4 tablespoons real bacon crumbles
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons pecan chips
- 1 scallion sliced
1. Place all ingredients for the dressing into a medium bowl and mix gently to combine.
2. Place each watermelon wedge onto a serving plate and top with 1/4 of the dressing.
3. Sprinkle the bacon, blue cheese, pecans, and scallions over the top of the salads before serving.